Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands
View of Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands-Click on photo to link to Chateau Du Mer

WELCOME TO MY SITE AND HAVE A GOOD DAY

If this is your first time in this site, welcome. It has been my dream that my province, Marinduque, Philippines becomes a world tourist destination not only during Easter Week but also whole year round. You can help me achieve my dream by telling your friends about this site. The photo above is your own private beach at The Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort. The sand is not as white as Boracay, but it is only a few steps from your front yard and away from the mayhem and crowds of Boracay. I have posted some of my favorite Filipino and American dishes and recipes on this site also. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringement of your copyrights. Cheers!

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Ten Days at the Whitney Oaks Care Center


Today I am transferring MACRINE to Manor Care, another rehab home near us in a private room. I will be paying extra dollars from my personal account, since private room is not covered by Medicare or my Insurance- Blue Cross Blue Shield. My decision to transfer her are based primarily on convenience and on some services and miscommunication here at Whitney Oaks, Carmichael.

Manor Care is only 5 minutes from our residence whereas Whitney Oaks is 30 minutes and heavy traffic all day.

In general Services at Whitney Oaks are good. There are several excellent nurses, nursing assistants, PT and OT personnel and other services ( social and activity). However one rotten apple can ruin the basket.

An incident of miscommunication: Macrine takes her Levo-Dopa ( Sinemit) for her Parkinson 3 times a day after each meal. If she takes it before her meal, she is too sleepy to eat. Moreover if she takes it with an empty stomach, the side effects are more pronounced. I communicated this to Rehab Doctor as well as all the nurses in all shifts. I thought this was written in her Chart, but evidently not. The order in the chart is to give her Levo-Dopa at 7AM, 12 Noon and 4PM. I was surprise to see 4PM in the order, since at home she gets it after 6PM after our early dinner. Macrine's supervise meals are served at 7Am, 12n and 5PM

Anyway when I am around, the nurses give her Sinemet right after meals. Yesterday, there was a new nurse on Macrine Station. I took a break from 3 to 5PM to let the cleaning lady inside our house. When I came back, Macrine was drugged and would not wake up for her dinner. I was suspicious that the nurse had given her Parkinson's medication. I confronted the nurse and she confirmed she gave it at 4PM as written in the order. Thus it confirmed that my request to give her meds after each meal was never revised in her chart order.

Macrine slept for 3 hours ( from 5 to 8). I requested her meals be refrigerated and served after she wakes up. The CNA ( nurses aid) was very accommodating as well as the night nurse supervisor. When Macrine woke up, her dinner was microwaved and she eat it with gusto. I stayed with Macrine until she was ready to sleep at 10PM.

Another incident and major error could have occurred last night if I were not around. At About 9PM, a vampire( travelling personnel who withdraws blood) came to our room asking us for Macrine's blood. I was suspicious and I ask her what is the purpose and who ordered her. She was not able to answer, so she left our room and went to the other wing. I ask the nurse who order the blood test. She did not know. Fifteen minutes later, the vampire came back to our room and draws blood from Macrine's room mate who just checked in that afternoon. When she finished I thought It was Macrine's turn. However, the vampire left our room and waved good bye, saying that it was not needed.

Lesson Learned: Always ask if you feel suspicious orders not explained to you!

I am writing this before I drive to Macrine to get her ready for the transfer to Manor Care this afternoon. I am thanking all the Whitney Oaks personnel who did their best to serve Macrine and her rehabilitation needs during this last 10 days. Special mention and thanks to nurse( Debbie), Assistants-Martha and Anna and the social and activity heads who are both Filipino-Americans.

No comments:

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...