Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands

Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands
View of Marinduque Mainland from Tres Reyes Islands-Click on photo to link to Chateau Du Mer

WELCOME TO MY SITE AND HAVE A GOOD DAY

If this is your first time in this site, welcome. It has been my dream that my province, Marinduque, Philippines becomes a world tourist destination not only during Easter Week but also whole year round. You can help me achieve my dream by telling your friends about this site. The photo above is your own private beach at The Chateau Du Mer Beach Resort. The sand is not as white as Boracay, but it is only a few steps from your front yard and away from the mayhem and crowds of Boracay. I have posted some of my favorite Filipino and American dishes and recipes on this site also. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringement of your copyrights. Cheers!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Are You a Filipino-American or an American with Filipino Heritage?



Last week news on the bus killings of Hongkong tourists in Manila put the Philippines international image to zero. However, today, I will concentrate on positive news that will make you proud as a Filipino-American or an American with Filipino Heritage.

There is a big difference on the two terms above. A Filipino-American is just like me. I was born and grew up in the Philippines until I was 26 years old. I then immigrated to US in 1960 and became a US citizen in 1972. On the other hand three of my children were all born and raised here in US. They call themselves American with Filipino heritage, although outside they are brown just like most Filipinos. When my kids were in high school, their friends teased them and called them "coconuts". Do you know why? Their friends told them because they are white inside but brown outside. My oldest son came to US when he was only 18 months old. Then he become a citizen also at the time of my wife and my naturalization. He does not know much about the Philippines, since he has been raised in American soil since he was a baby. So is he Filipino-American or an American with Filipino heritage. I think he could be both. What do you think?

Back to the main topic of this article that will make you proud whether you are Filipino-American or An American with Filipino heritage. The following is Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger announcement of the appointment of Tani Cantil-Sakauye to be the chief justice of the California Supreme Court. The appointment is a historic event. Here's an excerpt from the Governor speech for your reading pleasure.

" Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye has a long and distinguished history of public service. She began her career in the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office prosecuting and putting away violent criminals. In the 1990s, because she did such a great job there, Governor Deukmejian appointed her to the Sacramento Municipal Court. There again she did such a great job that seven years later Governor Wilson elevated her to the Superior Court and there she created and presided over the first court in Sacramento dedicated solely to domestic violence. And as I mentioned earlier, since 2005 she has served honorably on the Court of Appeals Third Appellate District.

"Every time that I meet Justice Cantil-Sakauye, I'm impressed by her incredible passion, her incredible passion for the law. She reveres the law and she knows that the role of the judiciary is not to create law but to independently and to fairly interpret and administer the law.

But Justice Cantil-Sakauye is much more than just a fine and widely admired jurist. She is also the living, breathing example of the American Dream. She came from humble beginnings, the daughter of parents who instilled in her the values of hard work and perseverance and the belief that in America, with that hard work and perseverance, you can achieve about anything. She even waited on tables to help put herself through college and then later on through law school. What an inspiring example to all our young people in America and especially to young Filipino boys and girls. Let's give her a big hand for the great, great work. "

My congratulations to Tani Cantil Sakauye for her achievements. An inspiration to all Filipino-Americans especially our American women with Filipino roots or heritage!

No comments:

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...